Monday, May 7, 2012

Convinced the wife!

After a few months trying, I managed to convince my wife into swapping that SLOW Windows XP installed on her Netbook for Xubuntu. Her Windows XP install was so slow she had to turn it on 10 minutes before using.

Since she knows nothing of Linux I’m gonna help her the best I can to make her transition to Linux as smooth as possible. She’s used just Windows all her life. Let’s see how that goes. To help her out, I ditched Debian and installed Xubuntu on my sister’s ex-laptop (see post #4), so we could have similar systems and I could better help her in case anything goes wrong. Her Netbook is a Acer Aspire One, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU with 1GB of RAM. Xubuntu runs well in it and has recognized all of her hardware correctly.

It’s been a few weeks and, for now, she likes it. For the regular user, Xubuntu is fast and does everything Windows does (just with different software), so my wife just needs to learn the new names of the applications, and she’s doing very well for one with no computer background.

Now that there are only Linux systems in my home I can get rid of Samba on my desktop for sharing files and printer. I’ll see how to fix that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment